“Cauliflower cheese is something I like to make every chance I get! The whole family loves to get stuck into it and you can't get it wrong. ”
Serves 4 people
1 fresh cauliflower head
25g plain flour
90g mature cheddar cheese
3 slices of stale sourdough
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4
2. Melt the butter in a medium size pan on a medium heat.
3. Once the butter has melted add the flour to make a paste. Cook and keep stirring for 30 seconds then gradually add in the milk until you end up with a nice smooth sauce.
4. Bring the sauce to a boil stirring constantly as it will burn if you leave it. Turn down the heat and let simmer for 10 mins. ( You want to make sure all the flour has been cooked out and you can not taste it )
5. Add the grated cheddar, parmesan, salt and pepper.
6. Cut the cauliflower into florets and arrange in a suitable baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and sprinkle the nutmeg over. ( not too much as it will be overpowering ) Then grate about 20g of cheddar cheese on top.
7. Take your sourdough slices and cut off the crusts. Bring them together, fold over and cut into thin strips. Chop the strips into rough pieces and then sprinkle over the dish. ( you could use a magimix for this if you have one )
8. Finish by drizzling some olive oil, salt and pepper.
8. Place into the oven and bake in the oven for around 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
It's the extra crunchy sourdough that makes this dish so amazing for me! It sounds like a small thing but please don't leave it out. If you don't have sourdough you could use some other stale bread.